Thursday, December 8, 2011

PACKING CREATIVE EXTRAS

ZIP-LOCK BAGS

Zip lock bags in quart and sandwhich sizes have come to our rescue for so many things- left over food, wet bathing suites and sea shells. They seperate bathroom supplies and dirty underwear, wet shoes and dry travel books. A MUST!
Cindy
Marion, Ohio  USA   03/10/2010



MINI PASSPORT

I scan my passport at 67% on my copy machine. It reduces to a CC or DL size. I laminate it with clear packing tape & carry it in a vinyl wallet insert, along with some folded paper money and a few C.C. in the spaces. Then placed securely inside a zipped or buttoned pocket. I Do not carry it in the same place as my actual passport. (In case I would to lose it, I have a backup copy for quick replacement.)
I have had shopkeepers use the small copy for VAT paperwork, when my passport was back in the hotel safe.
Tuscany
USA   06/04/2010


GOOGLE DOCUMENTS

Before I leave on a trip, I scan all credit cards, passport/ID, insurance cards etc (front & back) into a pdf or jpeg and then upload the file on to google documents. That way, if I loose my passport, I can at least have copies of all my items. Also, it's safer than leaving a copy in your suitcase, which could get stolen/lost.
Jessica
Long Beach, CA  USA   05/27/2010


PAPERWORK

I have a small packet of important papers that I throw in a bag for every trip. It includes photocopies of passports, medical insurance cards, our powers of attorney, medical powers of attorney and living wills. I've seen too many people on cruises become ill and even die in another country and I want to be prepared with all the paperwork.
Marilyn
Hot Springs, AR  USA   05/06/2011


EXTRA EMPTY BAG

I pack an empty zip up tote bag in my suitcase. It folds flat and is made out of lightweight nylon. At the end of the trip I stuff it with our dirty clothes and use my suitcase for all the lovely new clothes and home items I have bought on the trip.
Kat
Boston, MA  USA   05/02/2011



IPHONE

What would I do without my iPhone? Before leaving home, I sync it with my Kindle so I have my Rick guidebooks on it. Rick has various audiotours available for download, as well as his new Audio Europe radio broadcasts. With just my iPhone, I can read from the guidebook, take pictures, make travel notes, look up maps, etc...right in the palm of my hand. Oh yeah, it's also a telephone and iPod. Fabulous for the light packing traveler.
Beth
Alsace, USA   05/01/2011


AND THE KITCHEN SINK....

The wife and I backpacked 12 european countries over two months and found these items critical: downy wrinkle reducer- works not only to reduce wrinkles, but also to remove odors (can also use watered down fabric softener in spray bottle), small headlight, compact binoculars (great for studying facades of cathedrals), pepto pills, tide stick, leatherman, 5-10 feet of duct tape rolled around pencil (makes compact), ipod touch with micro speakers and loaded with translator and city/metro maps. the only item that I really desired was gold bond cream.
kent
delta, alaska  USA   04/25/2011


MAGIC GLOVES

Unless you're traveling during the middle of summer, bring a pair of gloves. The little $1.99 stretchy gloves you can pick up at a drug store are perfect, nothing fancy, no big deal if you lose them. I figured I would never use them on my trip to Spain & Italy last year, but they ended up being total lifesavers when we got to Venice on a freezing cold, windy, rainy day. They made it possible for me not to be totally miserable walking around outside and kept me from having to spend my first day in Italy trying to keep warm indoors. I would never have thought I would have actually used them (it was mid-September), but I did, and was very glad I had them.
Krissi
Seattle, WA  USA   02/13/2011


SILK LONG UNDERWEAR

Pack a pair of silk long underwear. If the weather gets cold or damp you will apprecaite them. One can even sleep in them. I took a pair to Tanzania in June and used them during the rains.
pat
clayton, ga  USA   12/30/2010



HAND WARMERS

I travelled to England when the weather was still quite cold but, I found the disposable 8 hour hand warmers are great to keep me going and staying warm, especially after I lost a glove. I even transfer the hand warmers into my shoes if they got too cold. Easy to pack, disposable and inexpensive.
Canice
Bedford, Tx  USA   12/05/2010


THERMACARE HEAT WRAPS

I tend to get a very sore back when traveling. All the sitting on the plane, standing for long periods and walking take its toll.
I now pack Thermacare Heat Wraps in my luggage. Instead of buying the ones for the lower back I get those for the top of your shoulders. They fit me better and come 3 to a package instead of 2 which make them less expensive. Each one usually lasts for at least 8 hours or more and they don't take up hardly any room in my luggage.
Another bonus is when the weather is really cold, they help keep me warm!
bettyk
Missouri City, TX  USA   12/05/2010


Language Problem...
We print business size cards in the language of the countries we're touring with the name & address of our hotels to hand over to a cab driver. It ends confusion and they seem to appreciate it.
Dick & Ann
Simi Valley, CA  USA   05/08/20



ADDRESS LABELS
Kay, the address labels are a must for sending poscards! I pack a travel size squirt bottle of woolite or other concentrated laundry soap for washing clothes in the sink. 13 gallon garbage bags for dirty clothes (to stay away from the clean ones), and they can be used for packing dirty shoes, too. All of the flight, hotel, car, etc. confirmations, addresses and phone numbers, directions, maps, etc. go in a plastic zip folder, placed in my carry on luggage, and in date order. When finished, they are shredded and thrown away. A deck of cards for flight delays or train rides doesn't take up much room. For those of you who hate to ask people to take your photo, a foot-long, expandable tripod works great. Before we leave, we always send our family our itinerary with hotel phone numbers, etc., in case of emergency, along with copies of our credit cards and passports.
Terri W
Eden Prairie, MN  USA   09/17/2010


LITTLE EXTRAS

We just returned from 15 days in Central Europe, and we packed extremely light! However, some little comforts we found helpful & fun were: - travel journal & a sandwich sized tupperware box of supplies (glue stick, date stamp, double-sided tape, small scissors, etc) to glue in little bits & pieces as we went along (tram tickets, receipts, etc.) My journal is now done & I will eventually put details of this & photos on my blog at heididilley.blogspot.com - a few each of various sizes of ziplock bags, useful for an amazing amount of things!
Heidi
Riverside, CA  USA   09/17/2010


INSTANT DECAF COFFEE

We're just back from a great tour to Tallinn, Eastonia, Helsinki, St. Petersburg and Moscow, Russia. Other than ice, the only thing I missed from home was my after dinner Decafe coffee. Decafe is a must for me at night. Next trip I will take a supply of Starbucks decafe packets. Not as good as fresh brewed, but you can always get hot water and we didn't find any restaurants that seemed to have any idea what "no caffein" coffee was.
Jan Baker
Arlington, Tx  USA   09/13/2010


ADDRESS LABELS

I type out address labels on my computer before leaving for trip and that way no need to take an address book for postcards. Just slap it on the postcard, find post office and voila! those cards on on their way home - which I send the 1st or 2nd days on my trips.
Kay
Atlanta, Ga  USA   09/11/2010


BABY WIPES
Having survived 7 yrs of traveling with over 300 people--on buses-- around the US as a bandparent, and one jaunt to London, I've learned to always travel with baby wipes. My favorites are the antibacterial unscented ones. I've used them to disinfect, freshen up, for first aide, and as napkins.
Kim
Tulsa, OK  USA   08/08/2010


Loved the mini passport idea. I'll have to try it next time. I always make copies but never thought of laminating it. As for losing luggage, try packing at least one outfit in your travel companion's luggage as well as your carry-on. That way you have 2 extra sets of clothes!
Renee
USA   07/03/2010


CARRY-ON TIPS

I have always heard horror stories about people losing their luggage when they travel, in particularly to other countries. So when I was heading out of the country in February, I decided to stick a clean outfit (including undergarments) in my carry-on. I also packed my toothbrush, a travel toothpaste, travel shampoo, hair brush, and a bar of soap in there too. Well, I happened to be the "lucky one" whose luggage was misplaced by the airlines when we arrived! However, it wasn't a big deal because I had the essentials with me.
K
Pittsburgh, PA  USA   07/01/2010


DUCT TAPE

If you are doing any sort of adventure-y trip take along a small role (or the end of a role) of duct tape. On our most recent trip, we used it for a luggage repair.
carol
Redwood City, ca  USA   06/25/2010


BABY WASHCLOTHS

re: face/wash cloths- I have bought babywash cloths and pack them instead of bring regular ones. They are thin and when squeezed out, they dry very fast! I have even bought very cheap ones in dollar stores( although they are not as big)and put them in cooler bags. When my husband is parading with his pipes and drum band he can use them to cool his face down, If they are lost, no big deal.I always bring a Rick Steves drying towel to squeeze extra moisture from laundry,but I wouldn't cut it as it too valuable whole.
Lisa
Stewartsville, NJ  USA   06/21/2010


no journal and no camera

One time while traveling, we met a couple who didn't keep a journal and didn't bring a fancy camera. They bought postcards from every sightseeing place they felt worth it, wrote something about what they had done/experienced on the back and sent it to their own home. The most beautiful pictures are (in my case anyway, i'm not that good with camera's) always on postcards, and with the stories on it you have a very original 'photoalbum' to show your friends.
Wisis
USA   06/09/2010


ART SUPPLIES

I pack a box of watercolor pencils and a sketch pad--my children and I slow down our travels to draw/paint and the activity is a wonderful ice breaker.
Melinda
CO  USA   05/05/2010


PACKING CUBE ALTERNATIVE

I recently purchased valances and drapes from JCPenny. They came in these plastic bags that had zippers. Voila, I had free packing cubes. I just rolled up shirts and other items and it was easy to find since they were clear.
DVRDIVA
Chico, CA  USA   04/20/2010



TRAVEL PAPERWORK

Use a half sheet three ring binder to organize all the paperwork that seems to accumulate during a trip. These binders are designed to hold half sheets of U.S. standard letter size paper (8 1/2 x 5 1/2) and come in various widths. I like the tiny 1/2" size which will easily slip into my day bag. Punch holes across the top of full sheets and fold them in half to store in the binder. You can put in dividers if you want to be fancy, but I just put pages of related information information together then fold them in half as a group which makes them into a "chapter" in your book. You can add pages from your guidebooks, sections cut out of maps, and much more. I punched holes in a small manila envelop and added it to the notebook to hold small bits of paper like stamps, receipts, and ticket stubs. You can add blank sheets of filler paper for travel notes and journalling. It's all in one releatively compact space and easy to find what you want.
Sharon
SFO, CA  USA   04/08/2010


CLARITY
For you photographers out there, bring along a tiny bottle of window cleaner. It was so frustrating trying to take pictures of lovely scenery through train windows smudged with fingerprints! Buy an empty spray bottle and fill it up.
— Anonymous from California

ENLIGHTENMENT
I read that a votive candle could come in handy. So I thought, "Why not?" and packed a couple. On our very first night in Rome, the lights went out. Flashlights are fine for some situations, but the candles proved to be a much better source of light as I had not had time to unpack and I also wanted to take a shower. The are also nice for those relaxing moments with some wine, crackers, and cheese at the end of a tiring day.
— Carolyn Johnston from Edina, Minnesota

Courtesy - Rick Steve's Graffiti Wall
Call Avant Travel 800-627-7260 or 859-233-0000

No comments:

Post a Comment